@Tom Thank you for solving this issue so quickly
OK, then I mark this issue as solved.
Meantime the UI has totally changed and now the checkbox seems to be working.
So I close this issue.
No "Update" icon seen today: fixed.
The 0-Day was removed:
OK, I mark the topic as Solved and move it to the category Solved Bugs and Issues.
Right, it is fixed.
Right, deleting the cache on Chrome (Android) did the trick.
Meantime you removed the hamburger menu.
So the issue is solved!
Cool, thank you!
OK, so I move the topic to Solved Bugs and Issues
The scan started, so I set the status of this issue to "Solved".